Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Family Hike for Chinese New Year

Chinese New Year is the biggest holiday of the year in Chinese culture. It's the time to pass out red pockets filled with money, burn incense, watch lion dances, and say
"Kung Hei Fat Choi". 

Our participation in Chinese New Year traditions was very minimal this year. We said "Kung Hei Fat Choi" (1 of only 2 Chinese sayings I know and feel comfortable using) to many friends and neighbors, the kids received a few red pockets from our kind Chinese friends, and we accidentally stumbled upon the tail-end of a lion dance performance. 

Instead of participating in traditional Chinese New Year celebrations, we took advantage of Kyle's day-off and the beautiful weather to enjoy a day of hiking with the family. The kids and I previously discovered the Olympic Trail head on one of our homeschool walks and promised to come back with Dad to follow it to Mui Wo, a quaint town on the other side of Lantau Island. Chinese New Year was a perfect day to make good on our promise.

The trail, renamed Olympic Trail in honor of Hong Kong hosting the equestrian events during the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, is about 6 miles long. It's a fairly easy hike with a paved walkway and steps. The trail weaves through some small, old villages, 
past an abandoned school,
through valleys and over mountains 
to a beautiful pagoda lookout,
and past the Silvermine Cave and Waterfall into Mui Wo. 
It was a fantastic hike for the whole family.  We had a great time and shared some special bonding moments, including this one.
Cade is getting so big (his feet are already bigger than mine) but I'm so happy he's not too big to hold my hand. I love my Cade! I'm a blessed and happy momma.

Kung Hei Fat Choi!

2 comments:

  1. I read these all the time! Just so you know - even if I don't comment. I LOVE you TAH! I miss having you guys close. I always find that I take people I love for granted when they are around. And then they move away and I wish for more time with them close. I'm proud of you and all your strength - to be away in a very foreign land with your kids. You are amazing and I'm so glad you are my sister. I love you lots! (Feeling emotional today - sorry for blubbering) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blubbering is ok - it makes me feel loved and missed. THANKS! I hope that you know that I love and miss you and your family so much too.

    ReplyDelete